- Union Minister for Youth Affairs and Sports on 15 January 2017 inaugurated national level competitions under the ‘Khelo India scheme’ at the S.P. Mukherjee Swimming Pool complex in the Talkatora Stadium in New Delhi with objective to prepare well for future games and equip the budding talents with the best facilities and help them in honing their skills.
- Under this championship, besides swimming, various competitions of cycling, wrestling under different categories will be held till 21 January 2017. The venues for events have been kept open for public with free entry.
Current Affairs on Sports
- Alphonce Simbu of Tanzania took 02:09:32 time to clinch first position in men’s category and Kenya’s Bornes Kitur won the women’s title by completing the distance in 02:29:02 in full marathon was flagged off from the iconic Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus.
- Among the Indian Men, Kheta Ram stood first by finishing the race in 2:19:51 and women, Jyoti Gawte finished at first place.
- Consulate General of India in Dubai has announced launch of the 'Diplomats Cricket Championship Cup'.
- This cricket championship will be launched in association with the Skyline University College, Sharjah, to promote sportsmanship, camaraderie, and harmonious relationship among the diplomatic missions of UAE
- Gujarat team won its maiden Ranji Trophy title as it defeated defending champions Mumbai in the finals of the 2016-17 edition on 14 January 2017.
- Gujarat became only the fourth team to be crowned domestic champions in all three formats. The other three teams are UP, TN and Bengal.
- Gujarat won the Ranji trophy after long wait and first in 66 years.
- Chennai Smashers won maiden the 2017 Premier Badminton League (PBL) title after defeating Mumbai Rockets in the finals 4-3 in a pulsating summit clash at the Siri Fort Indoor Stadium in New Delhi on 14 January 2017.
- The first edition of PBL (2013) was won by Hyderabad Hotshots while 2016 edition was won by Delhi Acers.
- PBL was earlier known as Indian Badminton League (IBL) when founded in 2013. It is a franchisee league managed and commercially owned by the Badminton Association of India (BAI).
- BJP Mumbai unit chief Ashish Shelar has been appointed as Maharashtra Cricket Association (MCA) president. He was elected as Vice President of MCA on 17 June 2015.
- Sylar takes over from the former ICC president Sharad Pawar.
- Leicester City boss Claudio Ranieri has been named as the Coach of the Year at the FIFA Football Awards in Zurich.
- The Italian was up against Fernando Santos, who led Portugal to Euro 2016 glory in the summer, and Zinedine Zidane, who guided Real Madrid to the Champions League title last season.
- FIFA council unanimously votes to expand the soccer world cup from 32 to 48 teams; new schedule to be implemented from 2026 World Cup and thus the changes mark the first World Cup expansion since 1998.
- An initial stage of 16 groups of 3 teams will precede a knockout stage for the remaining 32 when the change is made for the 2026 tournament.
- The tournament will be completed within 32 days - a measure to appease European clubs, who objected to reform because of a crowded international schedule.
- Novak Djokovic has won the Qatar Open tennis title. In an epic final in Doha, the Serbian defeated Andy Murray of UK by 6-3 5-7 6-4.
- Djokovic missed out on three match points and had to repel a roaring Murray comeback before ending the Briton's 28-match, five-tournament winning streak.
- Indian tennis player Sania Mirza won her first title of the season Brisbane International women's doubles by combining with American Bethanie Mattek-Sands.
- The top-seeded Indo-American duo triumphed 6-2 6-3 against the second-seeded Russian team of Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina in the final.
- However, Sania's 91-week reign as the world No.1 doubles player in the WTA rankings. That position was taken over by her partner Bethanie.
Roberto Bautista Agut (Spain) won Chennai Open 2017
- Roberto Bautista Agut won the men’s singles title of the Chennai Open 2017 for the fifth time by defeating 20-year-old Daniil Medvedev (Russia) in the final on 8 January 2017.
- Medvedev was chasing his first ATP title while Agut had already won four singles titles including two in 2016 when he won in Sofia and Auckland.
Table tennis Olympic champion Li Xiaoxia announces retirement
- China's table tennis Olympic champion Li Xiaoxia has announced her retirement.
- She is the eighth table tennis Grand Slam winner in history with singles crowns from the 2008 World Cup in Kuala Lumpur, 2012 Olympics in London and 2013 world championships in Paris.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni stepped down as captain of the Indian team in limited overs cricket.
- A BCCI press-release stated, “Mahendra Singh Dhoni has informed the BCCI, that he wishes to step down as the captain of the Indian Cricket Team from the One Day Internationals and the T20 Internationals formats of the game.
- He will be available for the selection for the Paytm One Day Trophy and Paytm T20I Trophy against England and the same has been conveyed to the Senior Selection Committee.
Lionel Messi World’s Best Playmaker for the year 2016
- The International Federation of Football History & Statistics (IFFHS) in the last week of December 2016 named Lionel Messi as the World’s Best Playmaker for the year 2016 for his overall contribution to club and country.
- Messi beat Andres Iniesta and Toni Kroos to win the prestigious honour for the second consecutive time in his career.
Top 5 rankings for the year 2016
- The International Federation of Football History & Statistics is an organization that documents the history and records of association football was founded on 27 March 1984 in Leipzig by Dr Alfredo Poge.
- It was based at Al-Muroor Street 147, Abu Dhabi for some time. However, it was relocated to Bonn, Germany in 2010.
Somdev Devvarman Announces Retirement
- India’s star singles player Somdev Devvarman announced his retirement from professional tennis.
- Somdev touched a career-high rank of number 62 in 2011 and has two runners-up finishes on the ATP World Tour as his best performances on the Tour.
- Somdev also won Singles and Doubles medals in Asian Games and Commonwealth Games.
Supreme Court Removes BCCI President Anurag Thakur
- The Supreme Court removed Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) President Anurag Thakur for allegedly lying on oath (Failing to comply with its order on implementing administrative reforms in BCCI as recommended by the Lodha panel)
- The court also issued a show cause notice to Thakur asking why perjury and contempt proceedings should not be initiated against him for misleading the court.
- The Court said that senior most vice-president of BCCI will act as President while Joint Secretary will act as Secretary.
Kush Creates History in UAE Tourney
- Mumbai prodigy Kush Bhagat has won all three gold medals on offer in the 1st Western Asia Youth Chess Championships that was held at Al Ain Chess Club in UAE.
- The second standard student reigned supreme in all the three categories – rapid, blitz and standard as he overcame the challenges from 158 participants from 20 countries across the world.