Afghanistan players Mohammad Nabi, Rashid Khan selected in IPL
- Five cricketers from Afghanistan were included in the auction for the first timeand out of that Mohammad Nabi and Rashid Khan from Afganistan became the first 2 players selected for Indian Premier League (IPL) auction.
- Both players were bought by Sunrisers Hyderabad, for Rs. 30 lakh and Rs. 4 crore respectively.
Shahid Afridi announced his retirement from international cricket
- Pakistan's explosive all-rounder Shahid Afridi has called curtains on his 21-year-long international cricketing career.
- Boom-Boom Afridi, as he is popularly known, 36-year-old maverick all-rounder saw many ups and downs in his long and often controversial career.
- Afridi also played 98 T20 matches for Pakistan and scored 1,405 runs along wth bagging 97 wickets.
Indian Women's team won a silver at the Asian Rugby Sevens Trophy
- The Indian Women's team won a silver at the Asian Rugby Sevens Trophy held at Vientiane, Laos.
- Total of seven countries from across Asia including South Korea, Philippines, Malaysia, Nepal, Pakistan, India and hosts Lao vied for top honours in the Asian Rugby Sevens Trophy.
- India was one among the top three Try Scorers of the tournament and Meerarani Hembram was the third highest in the conversions.
First UFC Women’s Featherweight Champion
- Netherland native Germaine de Randamie defeated Holly Holm by (7-3) to claim the UFC Women’s Featherweight Champion at the UFC 208 in Brooklyn, New York.
- The featherweight division was newly introduced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) in 2016.
India wins T20 Blind World Cup 2017
- India beat Pakistan by 9-wickets to win T20 Blind World Cup at Bengaluru’s M Chinnaswamy Stadium.
- Successfully defending their title in the T20 Blind World Cup, India achieved the victory target of 198-runs in the 18th over in the final of the tournament
- India had beaten Sri Lanka by 10 wickets in the semi final, while Pakistan defeated England by 147 runs.
R. Ashwin breaks Dennis Lilees record
- Indian off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin created the record of claiming 250 Test wickets in the least number of matches in his 45th test after he broke the record of legendary Australian fast bowler Dennis Lillee who reached 250 test in his 48th test.
- He is the sixth Indian bowler after Anil Kumble , Kapil Dev , Harbhajan Singh , Zaheer Khan ,Bishan Singh Bedi to reach to 250 Test wickets.
Haryana wins Kabaddi Championship
- Government has launched national championships of traditional sports Kabaddi and Wrestling to promote these sports.
- Haryana won the Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Memorial All India National Style Kabaddi Championship defeating Indian Railway
India Beat Bangladesh in 1st Test match by 208 runs
- Indian bowlers showed tremendous perseverance on an unresponsive pitch to crush Bangladesh by 208 runs in the one-off Test and stretch the team's unbeaten streak to 19 matches in Hyderabad.
- Chasing a daunting target of 459, Bangladesh were all out for 250 in 100.3 overs but put up a stiffer resistance than what the final outcome of the match would suggest.
- The win was the Indian team's eighth victory in nine home Tests this season with the only draw coming against England at Rajkot.
- This was India's the sixth successive series victory under Virat Kohli starting from Sri Lanka series in 2015. India's unbeaten streak in Test matches is now 19 with the last defeat coming against Sri Lanka in Galle back in August, 2015.
Cook retires from test cricket
- Alastair cook holds the record for the most Test centuries scored by an England player has announced his retirement following 4-0 series defeat of England against India.
- Cook is England”s most prolific test batsman with 11,057 runs in 140 tests and the first English cricketer to reach 10000 runs in test cricket.
Iran Lifts Ban on American Wrestling Team
- The Freestyle World Cup is to be held in the Iranian city of Kermanshah from February 16 to February 17, 2017.
- Iran lifted up the ban it had imposed on United States Wrestlers, thus allowing them to participate in the Freestyle World Cup to be held in Iran in February 2017.
- Iran had banned the American team on February 3, 2017 after the decision of US President Donald Trump to temporarily suspend Visas to seven Muslim majority countries including Iran.